Capt. Sean C. Bruderer is the Recruiting Officer and Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) Detachment 75, San Diego State University, California. He leads, recruits, and evaluates 160 prospective officers through a comprehensive college program. He provides academic instruction on Air Force leadership, doctrine, and communication emphasizing professionalism and physical fitness.
Capt. Bruderer enlisted in the Air Force in 1999 and in 2011 received his commission through the Air Force Basic Officer Training program. He commanded 62 Airmen in the Department of Defense’s sole $53M U-2 Optical Bar Camera (OBC) sensor wet-film digitization/deployable intelligence processing unit. Capt. Bruderer as the 609th Air and Space Operations Center Analysis, Correlation and Fusion Air and Air Defense Officer in Charge led ISR processing, exploitation, and dissemination for the Combined Forces Air Combat Commander (CFACC), senior staff and 165 combat flying units enabling CFACC Control and Command of combat air operations during the Syrian and Iraqi crises. His combined efforts directly enabled strategic decision making of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the United Kingdom Prime Minister and the President of the United States shaping foreign and domestic policy. Prior to his current position, the captain was the Assistant Director of Operations for 396 Airmen and civilians in Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Command and Control, exploitation, and analysis for global U-2, RQ-4, MC-12W and MQ-1/-9 combat missions for a $700M distributed weapon system, 9th Intelligence Squadron, Beale Air Force Base (AFB), Calif. Captain Bruderer was awarded Company Grade Officer of the Year for his efforts.
1999 Basic Military Training, Randolph Air Force Base (AFB), Texas
2001 Korean Language Basic Course, Defense Language Institute (DLI), Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
2001 Far East Cryptologic Linguist (Korean), Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2002 Certificate in Korean, PyeongTaek University, South Korea
2003 Airman Leadership School (Commandant’s Leadership Award), Hickam AFB, Hawaii
2004 National Security Agency (NSA) Adjunct Faculty Certification, NSA, Hawaii
2005 Associate of Applied Science in Comms Applications Technology, Community College of the AF, Ala.
2006 Associate of Arts in Korean, Defense Language Institute/Foreign Language Center (DLI/FLC), Calif.
2007 Associate of Science in Supervisory Leadership with Honors, Hawaii Pacific University (HPU), Honolulu, Hawaii
2008 Bachelor of Science in Pre-Medical Studies (Magna Cum Laude), HPU, Honolulu, Hawaii
2011 Certificate in Workplace Spanish, University of Maryland University College, Adelphi, Md.
2011 Basic Officer Training, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Master of Business Administration (Suma Cum Laude), Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
2013 Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Calif.
2013 Air and Space Operations Center Intelligence Formalized Training Unit, Hurlburt AFB, Fla.
2016 Squadron Officer School (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1999–October 1999 Student, Basic Military Training, Randolph Air Force Base (AFB), Texas
2. October 1999–May 2001 Student, Korean Course, Defense Language Institute/Foreign Language Center, Calif.
3. May 2001–January 2002 Student, Far East Cryptologic Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
4. January 2002–January 2003 Cryptologic Linguist Apprentice, Osan AB, South Korea
5. January 2003–May 2009 Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge (NCOIC), Web Development/Web Content Manager/Regional Defense Air Defense Forces/Tactical Air Analyst, National Security Agency/Central Security Service (NSA/CSS), Hawaii
6. May 2009–December 2009 Korean Language Mentor, Hawaii Language Center, Hawaii
7. December 2009–May 2010 NCOIC, Signals Directorate Web Development, NSA/CSS, Hawaii
8. May 2010–May 2011 NCOIC, Operations Training Element/NCOIC, Military Exercise Element, Fort Meade, Md.
9. September 2011–December 2011 Student, Basic Officer Training, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. December 2011–May 2012 Student, Missile Training Course, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
11. May 2012–July 2013 Student, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
12. July 2013–July 2014 Officer in Charge, Air/Air Defense, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Al Udeid, Qatar
13. July 2014–July 2017 Assistant Director of Operations/Flight Commander/ISR Mission Commander, Beale AFB, Calif.
14. July 2017- Present Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies/Recruiting Officer, AFROTC Detachment 075, San Diego State University, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
2008 American Chemical Society Organic Chemistry Student of the Year (HPU)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant December 16, 2011
First Lieutenant December 16, 2013
Captain December 16, 2015
(Current as of November 2017)