Colonel John Grimm is the Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) Detachment 75, San Diego State University, California. He is responsible for recruiting, educating, training, motivating, selecting, and commissioning officer candidates through a comprehensive college program. He provides academic instruction on fundamental Air Force doctrine, practical leadership experience, and extensive field training emphasizing physical fitness and officership to prepare future officers for active duty.
Colonel Grimm entered the Air Force in 1995 upon graduating from Kansas State University. He has commanded three Security Forces squadrons, an expeditionary Security Forces squadron, a Security Forces group, and has served in various duty positions throughout the Security Forces career field. He is also a certified Jump Master and has been awarded the U.S., German, Italian, Bulgarian and Serbian Jump Wings.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master’s degree in criminal justice, American Military University
2008 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2009 Basic Airborne School, Ft. Benning, Ga.
2010 U.S. Army Jump Master course, Ft. Benning, Ga.
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master’s degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 1995 – August 1997, Resources and Training flight commander, 10th Security Police Squadron, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
- August 1997 – August 2000, flight commander, 31st Security Police Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
- August 2000 – December 2002, operations officer, 99th Ground Combat Training Squadron & 99th Security Support Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- December 2002 – June 2005, Chief, Force Protection Operations, United States Central Air Forces, Shaw AFB, S.C.
- June 2005 – June 2007, Commander, 319th Security Forces Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D. (Dec 2006 – June 2007, Commander, 586th ESFS, Camp Bucca, Iraq)
- June 2007 – July 2008, student, US Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
- July 2008 – June 2010, Commander, 786th Security Forces Squadron, Sembach AB, Germany
- June 2010 – May 2012, Commander, 18th Security Forces Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
- May 2012 – May 2013, Deputy Commander, 455th Expeditionary Security Forces Group & Task Force 455, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
- June 2013 – July 2015, Chief, Security Forces Plans & Programs, Pacific Air Forces, JBPH-H, Hawaii
- July 2015 – June 2016, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2016 – June 2017, Director, 20th Air Force Security Forces, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
- June 2017 – July 2019, Commander, 90th Security Forces Group, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
- July 2019 – Present, Commander, AFROTC Detachment 075, San Diego State University, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with a silver and bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and two silver oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with gold star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with gold star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with gold star
Iraq Campaign Medal with gold star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with gold star
Air Force Training Ribbon
NATO Medal with gold star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain April 30, 1999
Major October 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2010
Colonel November 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2019)