FAQ

1. How do I apply for a scholarship?
2. What does an Air Force scholarship give me?
3. Do I wear a uniform?
4. Do I have to pay for a uniform?
5. What is a typical week for a freshman in ROTC?
6. Can I come and visit the detachment?
7. What events does the detachment partake in?
8. How does ROTC fit into your degree plan?
9. Can I major in any degree and still be in ROTC?
10. Are you required to live on campus as a cadet?
11. What kind of degree do I need to get a scholarship?
12. Will the Air Force pay for me to get my masters?

1. How do I apply for scholarships?

We offer two kinds of scholarships. The first is for current high school seniors, and the second is for current cadets.

The application for high school seniors is open from Jun 1 to Jan 17 of a student’s senior year. You can complete the application at afrotc.com and clicking the “Apply Now” button on the top righthand corner.

For ROTC cadets, there is no formal “application”. You have to join the program! We offer scholarships to students who are doing exceptionally well in AFROTC. For more information, see here
Back to Top

A scholarship, dependent on the type, will pay for your tuition and fees for the college you go to, give you a book stipend, and a grade stipend. The stipend is tax-free.
Back to Top

3. What if I don’t get a scholarship?

Although many cadets do get a scholarship, some do not. However, all AFROTC cadets receive a stipend in their junior and senior years. This stipend is currently set at $450/month for juniors and $500/month for seniors, as well as a $900/year book stipend. This is about $12k over 2 years.

Scholarship status does not affect you commissioning into the Air Force, nor your selection of jobs.

Back to Top

4. Do I wear a uniform?

Yes, cadets are required to wear a uniform at their host university during the duty day from 0800 to 1700 while on campus, on the day they attend Leadership Laboratory.
Back to Top

5. Do I have to pay for a uniform?

No, cadets do not have to pay for uniforms. All cadets are given uniforms once they have joined. Upon completion or withdrawal from the program, all uniforms must be returned.
Back to Top

6. What is a typical week for a freshman in ROTC?

Every week, cadets will attend leadership laboratory for two hours, mandatory physical training for the following hour, and then their academic Aerospace Studies class. Cadets are then required to attend one additional hour physical training session per week. Various physical training sessions are offered at different times and locations and they also may vary every semester.
Back to Top

7. Can I come and visit the detachment?

Yes, anyone interested in becoming a cadet or seeing what it’s like to be a cadet is welcome to come to our detachment at any time. Contact our Recruiting Flight Commander for arrangements.
Back to Top

8. What events does the detachment partake in?

Cadets at Det 075 are involved in community service events, recruiting events, intramural sports including soccer, football, volleyball, softball, and basketball. You can also view our student organizations on the main page for a list of additional programs/clubs cadets can join.
Back to Top

9. How does ROTC fit into your degree plan?

ROTC is simply additional courses that you take on top of your degree courses. For SDSU students, completion of AFROTC courses may award a minor in Air Force Leadership.
Back to Top

10. Can I major in any degree and still be in ROTC?

Yes, anyone attending college is able to major in any field they are interested in. However, if the Air Force contracts you based on a technical degree, most of the time you will need to continue pursuing a technical degree.
Back to Top

11. Are you required to live on campus as a cadet?

No, at Det 075 cadets are not required to live on campus. For SDSU students interested in living in the dorms: ROTC-Dorm-1Download
Back to Top

12. What kind of degree do I need to get a scholarship?

Scholarships are given out for both technical and non-technical degrees. However, a technical degree is considered more valuable to the Air Force than a non-technical degree. Because of this, more scholarships are given to students majoring in a technical degree, especially in degrees such as Electrical Engineering. If you are unsure whether a degree is technical or not, the visit www.afrotc.com for a list of technical and non-technical degrees.
Back to Top

13. Will the Air Force pay for me to get my masters?

Yes, the Air Force sometimes pays for AFROTC graduates to get a masters before beginning their Air Force career. However, it is not possible for the Air Force to pay for everyone’s. It is based off of the needs of the Air Force.
Back to Top

14. How long do I need to be in AFROTC?

AFROTC is a 4 year program. However, the program can be completed in 3 years by doubling up on freshman and sophomore courses. You must be a student at a college in San Diego during this time.

Both undergraduate and masters students are permitted in the program. However, only undergraduates will be considered for in-college scholarships.

The only exception to the minimum time period is for prior-enlisted members (of any branch of the military) with the completion of Airman Leadership School or equivalent and outstanding records. Contact the detachment for more information on the prior-enlisted programs.

Back to Top